The winged maiden was designed by Charles Robinson Sykes (1875-1950), and she stands on an attractive round black marble plinth base.
In 1910 Rolls-Royce slowly became aware that some owners were affixing 'inappropriate' ornaments to their cars. Claude Johnson's brief to Sykes was to sculpt a mascot for Rolls Royce that embodied 'speed with silence, absence of vibration, the mysterious harnessing of great energy and a beautiful living organism of superb grace' to become the standard emblem of the Rolls-Royce brand and it was Sykes' daughter, Jo (born 1908) that believed it was on the road from London to Beaulieu that her father first became 'Very impressed with the smoothness and speed of the Rolls Royce car.... imagining that even so delicate a thing as a fairy could ride on the bonnet without losing her balance.'
In early 1911 Sykes' presented his mascot, entitled "The Spirit of Speed", to Rolls-Royce. This figurine had her arms outstretched behind her and her gaze firmly fixed forward. She was soon retitled "The Spirit of Ecstasy" by Johnson and became the official symbol of Rolls-Royce automobiles on 6th February 1911.
It is a striking piece thought to be a former Rolls Royce car showroom sculpture.
In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation of condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 70 x Width 31 x Depth 42
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 foot, 4 inches x Width 1 foot x Depth 1 foot, 4 inches
Our reference: A3051
Please feel free to email or call us (+44 20 8809 9605) to arrange a viewing in our North London warehouse.