Cambridge Pattern 57 Piece Part Dinner Service by Wood & Son 19th C
For weekly notifications of new arrivals in your categories of interest please click HERE.
An boldly decorated 64 piece Cambridge Pattern part dinner service by Wood & Sons, circa 1865 in date.
The vibrant Cambridge pattern depicting both flowers and patterns, printed in underglaze ochre with hand painted cobalt edges, maroon, pink floral and finished in gold.
The pieces are signed with the brown printed "Cambridge Wood & Son" England "stamp underneath.
Wood & Sons
Earthenware manufacturer at the Trent, New Wharf Potteries and later the Stanley Pottery , Burslem.
4x platters four graduated
1 x large round platter
1x large soup tureen with lid,
1 x gravy boat with saucer
2x vegetable tureens with lids
12 x soup plates
11 x dinner plates
9 x side plates
12 x desert plates
In excellent condition commensurate for it's age and use.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 3 x Width 41 x Depth 31 - Largest Piece
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1 inch x Width 1 foot, 4 inches x Depth 1 foot, 0 inches - Largest Piece
Manufacturer of earthenware at the Trent, New Wharf and Stanley Potteries, Burslem.
The Wood & Sons business was established in 1865 by Absalom Wood and his son T. F. Wood. The business traded first as Wood & Son, then as Wood & Sons (from c.1907) and was incorporated as Wood & Sons Ltd, in 1910. Mr Harry F. Wood succeeded his father, T. F. Wood, as chairman in 1921 and under his management Wood & Sons Ltd became a large and successful earthenware manufacturer. Associated companies included H. J. Wood Ltd (at the Alexandra Pottery, Burslem), Bursley Ltd (later renamed Susie Cooper Pottery Co. Ltd, at the Crown Pottery, Burslem) and the Ellgreave Pottery Co. Ltd (Ellgreave St, Burslem).
The business became a public company in 1954 under the style Wood & Sons (Holdings) Ltd, although Wood & Sons Ltd continued as the main operating company. The business went into receivership in December 1981 and was sold to members of the Yorke family (some of whom were Board members of the failed company). Under its new owners the business traded as Wood & Sons (1982) Ltd until its closure in 1995.
Wood & Sons Ltd and its subsidiaries produced a vast array of well designed, good quality earthenware for the middle market. The company produced mainly teaware, tableware, fancy earthenware and hotelware. Ivorine China, a semi-porcelain body, was produced in the 1930s and from the 1940s ‘Beryl Ware’—tableware in a green coloured body—was popular. Trade names included ‘Wood’s Ware’, ‘Bursley Ware’, ‘Woods Ware’ and ‘Ivorine China’.
Angelica Kauffman, RA (1741 - 1807)
was a Swiss-born Austrian Neoclassical painter who had a successful career in London and Rome. Though born as "Kauffmann", Kauffman is the preferred spelling of her name in English; it is the form she herself used most in signing her correspondence, documents and paintings.
While Kauffman produced many types of art, she identified herself primarily as a history painter, an unusual designation for a woman artist in the 18th century. History painting, was considered the most elite and lucrative category in academic painting during this time period. Under the direction of Sir Joshua Reynolds, the Royal Academy made a strong effort to promote history painting to a native audience who were more interested in commissioning and buying portraits and landscapes.
Despite the popularity that Kauffman enjoyed in British society and her success as an artist, she was disappointed by the relative apathy that the British had towards history painting. Ultimately she left Britain for the continent, where history painting was better established, held in higher esteem and patronized.
The works of Angelica Kauffman have retained their reputation. By 1911, rooms decorated with her work were still to be seen in various quarters. At Hampton Court was a portrait of the duchess of Brunswick; in the National Portrait Gallery, a self-portrait. There were other pictures by her at Paris, at Dresden, in the Hermitage at St Petersburg, in the Alte Pinakothek atMunich, in Kadriorg Palace, Tallinn (Estonia).
is a hard and durable wood with a satinlike sheen, much used in cabinetmaking, especially in marquetry. It comes from two tropical trees of the family Rutaceae (rue family). East Indian or Ceylon satinwood is the yellowish or dark-brown heartwood of Chloroxylon swietenia.
The lustrous, fine-grained, usually figured wood is used for furniture, cabinetwork, veneers, and backs of brushes. West Indian satinwood, sometimes called yellow wood, is considered superior. It is the golden yellow, lustrous, even-grained wood found in the Florida Keys and the West Indies.
It has long been valued for furniture. It is also used for musical instruments, veneers, and other purposes. Satinwood is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Sapindales, family Rutaceae.
Our reference: 08613