William Comyns were a London based manufacturing silversmiths who traded from around 1858 until the 1930s.
The firm was founded by William Comyns when he bought the business of Robert Tagg (founded in 1730) around 1858 and entered his first mark from the original Robert Tagg premises in Soho, London.
The business expanded rapidly and the firm moved and gradually took up more and more premises on Beak Street, off Regent Street. They became William Comyns & Son in 1885 when his two sons Charles and Richard joined the partnership.
They had a significant impact in the 1880s by producing large numbers of decorative items in silver which were retailed through leading London retailers of the time such as Henry Lewis and Howell & James.
William Comyns died in 1916 and his son Charles died in 1925 whilst at a sale at Christies.
They registered as a limited company in 1930 as William Comyns & Sons Ltd with the remaining son Richard registered as the permanent governing director. When Richard died in 1953 the company was bought by Bernard Copping.
They are now one of the few remaining manufacturing silversmiths in London with premises in London WC2.