Lambert & Rawlings
Lambert & Rawlings were silversmiths based in London who became ‘Silversmiths to Their Majesties and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Kent’.
The business was started by Francis Lambert in 1803 and became an important retailer of both reproduction and original antique silver plate as well as a manufacturer of silver plate. William Rawlings was appointed manager of the shop and Lambert and Rawlings went into partnership in 1819.
Lambert died in 1841 and Rawlings continued the business on until his retirement in 1861 when the firm was renamed Lambert & Co and was taken over by Francis Lambert’s two sons – Francis Jnr. and George.
Lambert won an Exhibition Prize Medal at the Great Exhibition in 1851 and among the items they showed were two very large wine flagons which were partly gilt and chased. These were acquired by the Museum of Manufacturers, soon to become the V&A Museum.
By 1897 the firm was listed as goldsmiths, silversmiths, diamond and pearl merchants and jewellers. George Lambert by now the Prime Warden of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths died in 1901.
The company passed to the sons of Francis Jnr. – Herbert Charles and Ernest Dechemont. Francis died in 1912.
The business was absorbed by Harman & Co Ltd in 1916 and became Harman & Lambert. They traded in New Bond Street until 1970.