Speak with an expert today
+44 20 8809 9605

Antique Victorian Silver Plate & Crystal Biscuit Box William Hutton C1860

Antique Victorian Silver Plate & Crystal Biscuit Box William Hutton C1860 Sold
Ref:08238

For weekly notifications of new arrivals in your categories of interest please click HERE.

This item has been sold but we have thousands of items in our warehouse that are not online.

Email us to enquire about similar items that may not be online or call our experts on 020 8809 9605.

Be the first to hear when new items are added to our site!

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

This is an exquisite antique Victorian silver plated and crystal, swing handled biscuit box, Circa 1860.

It bears the makers mark of the celebrated silversmiths and retailers of London and Sheffield,  William Hutton.

A lot of intricate detailing has gone into the creation of this beautiful biscuit box and it is further compliment by the beautifully cut crystal.

This biscuit box is very pretty and would look lovely displayed in period interiors.
 

Condition:

In excellent condition with clear makers marks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:

Height 20 x Width 23 x Depth 16

Dimensions in inches:

Height 8 inches x Width 9 inches x Depth 6 inches

William Hutton & Sons - the firm was established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800 and transferred in Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was active as manufacturing silversmiths and platers at 27 High Street (140-146 West Street from 1886).

After his death the business was continued under the same style by the founder's son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton & Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843).William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton & Sons.

A London showroom was opened in 1863 (13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and later 7 Farrington Road until 1918).In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturer silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became William Hutton & Sons Ltd.The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their crossed arrows marks.The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. That was due to lack of foresight by the Chairman of the Board of directors (information courtesy Michael Hutton). The firm was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons in 1930. 

  

Angelica Kauffman, RA (1741 - 1807)

was a Swiss-born Austrian Neoclassical painter who had a successful career in London and Rome. Though born as "Kauffmann", Kauffman is the preferred spelling of her name in English; it is the form she herself used most in signing her correspondence, documents and paintings.

While Kauffman produced many types of art, she identified herself primarily as a history painter, an unusual designation for a woman artist in the 18th century. History painting, was considered the most elite and lucrative category in academic painting during this time period. Under the direction of Sir Joshua Reynolds, the Royal Academy made a strong effort to promote history painting to a native audience who were more interested in commissioning and buying portraits and landscapes.

Despite the popularity that Kauffman enjoyed in British society and her success as an artist, she was disappointed by the relative apathy that the British had towards history painting. Ultimately she left Britain for the continent, where history painting was better established, held in higher esteem and patronized.

The works of Angelica Kauffman have retained their reputation. By 1911, rooms decorated with her work were still to be seen in various quarters. At Hampton Court was a portrait of the duchess of Brunswick; in the National Portrait Gallery, a self-portrait. There were other pictures by her at Paris, at Dresden, in the Hermitage at St Petersburg, in the Alte Pinakothek atMunich, in Kadriorg Palace, Tallinn (Estonia).

Satinwood

is a hard and durable wood with a satinlike sheen, much used in cabinetmaking, especially in marquetry. It comes from two tropical trees of the family Rutaceae (rue family). East Indian or Ceylon satinwood is the yellowish or dark-brown heartwood of Chloroxylon swietenia.

The lustrous, fine-grained, usually figured wood is used for furniture, cabinetwork, veneers, and backs of brushes. West Indian satinwood, sometimes called yellow wood, is considered superior. It is the golden yellow, lustrous, even-grained wood found in the Florida Keys and the West Indies.

It has long been valued for furniture. It is also used for musical instruments, veneers, and other purposes. Satinwood is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Sapindales, family Rutaceae.

Our reference: 08238